Human Resources Generalist (Oakland)
Human Resources Generalist
Founded in 1989, The Focal Point is a leading national trial graphics, strategy, and technology firm with offices in Oakland, New York, and Santa Fe.
We work with trial lawyers on complex, high stakes cases to uncover persuasive case theories and themes and turn them into winning courtroom presentations. We help our clients explore trial themes, discover critical insights, test their case with perspective jurors, and develop powerful trial graphics designed for maximum impact on decision makers.
At The Focal Point, we value individual initiative and encourage free thinking and innovation. We welcome individuals who are enthusiastic about building a meaningful career, and invite them to be part of the leading company in the field of trial consulting.
We are looking for an experienced Human Resources Generalist to support our team and company’s growth. Based in our Oakland office, the position would be 32–40 hours per week (with benefits) based on candidates’ availability, experience, and compensation requirements.
- Conduct annual benchmarking, ensuring a strong market position for TFP. Analyze compensation and benefits programs and provide recommendations
- Manage company-wide benefits, including processing of employee enrollments and changes, assisting with benefits questions/issues, overseeing annual renewal and open enrollment, and coordinating benefits testing and compliance
- Keep employee files up-to-date
- Manage employee calendar and planning items such as PTO and TFP holiday schedule
- Annual review and updating of TFP HR policies
- Work with Management team to conduct annual review and updating of TFP career path documents
Recruiting & Hiring
- Manage company-wide recruiting, including working with managers to identify needs, coordinate interviews, and train participants on effective interviewing techniques
- Ensure compliance with federal affirmative action and E-verify requirements; conduct background checks; extend job offers
- Coordinate new hire paperwork and payroll/benefits set up
- Coordinate new contractor paperwork and set up; monitor and manage ongoing billing and payment processes
- Work with Training Supervisor to coordinate new hire orientation and training
- Assist management team on growth strategy and plans
- Prepare and manage annual HR plans and budgets
- Partner with managers on sensitive matters such as employee terminations and transition plans, using outside legal counsel as appropriate
- Guide managers on performance management and HR guidelines in order to ensure fair and consistent handling
- Provide specialized training programs for developing employees at TFP such as: interview training, performance review training, etc.
Safety & Insurance
- Manage workplace safety and worker’s compensation including training, compliance, claims management, audit, and renewal
We Are Looking For
- 5–7 years’ experience in HR roles
- BA or equivalent combination of skills and experience
- Ability to work with and influence at all levels within a company
- Personal credibility and an ability to get things done
- Experience administering and ensuring compliance of HR policies and procedures in accordance with state and federal employment laws
- Excellent communication, organization and problem solving skills
- Prior experience with growing, multi-state employer a plus
The Focal Point Offers
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive medical/dental/vision benefits
- Paid time off (PTO)
- Life insurance
- Long term disability
- Profit sharing
- Commuter subsidy
- A fun work environment
Please review our web site at www.thefocalpoint.com and send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. As part of The Focal Point’s comprehensive hiring process, we will be conducting a thorough background check on all eligible candidates. The Focal Point is an equal opportunity employer.
Guy Grogan discuss the cures for turning a common closing summary into a powerful and persuasive argument for your case.