Senior Jury Consultant (DAL/CHI/OAK/NYC)
Senior Jury Consultant (DAL/CHI/OAK/NYC)
Partnership, leadership, and an appreciation of life
The Focal Point is a cutting edge legal service company with offices across the country. We help attorneys develop case-winning strategies and presentations.
Since 1989, The Focal Point team has collaborated with many of this country’s most influential trial lawyers in courtrooms throughout the United States. Our experience encompasses over 2,500 civil and criminal cases on every conceivable topic, including many high-profile disputes.
At The Focal Point, we know the serious nature and impact of our clients’ work, and we understand the importance of collaboration. So we work closely with them every step of the way—sharing ideas, refining concepts, perfecting presentations. At the same time, we try not to take ourselves too seriously but strive to bring a creative spirit and a little fun into our work as well.
Bringing these two sides of our corporate character together gives us our sharp edge, our quality product, our valued client relationships, our passion for community service, and our well-deserved reputation as the leader in our field.
At The Focal Point, we value individual initiative and encourage free thinking and innovation. We welcome individuals who are enthusiastic about building a meaningful career, and invite them to be part of the leading company.
We are currently looking for a Senior Jury Consultant to join our growing team and work in one of our four offices (Oakland, Dallas, Chicago, or New York).
The Senior Jury Consultant will be responsible for providing jury research and consulting services including consultation with clients on case analysis and themes, jury research projects, witness preparation activities, voir dire, jury selection, consultation on trial graphics, opening statements, and closing arguments. Our senior jury consultants generate revenue through business development and lead projects, ensuring high quality client service. Our senior consultants also play an active role in coaching and developing less experienced members of our jury consulting team.
This is a great opportunity for someone who has extensive experience providing consulting services to clients in top tier firms and has expertise in trial communications, witness preparation, pre-trial jury research, jury selection, high-level business development, and a portable book of business.
What we are looking for you to do
- Lead jury consulting engagements from start to finish, consult with clients and work collaboratively with TFP teams on issues of case strategy, witness preparation, pre-trial jury research, jury selection, and visual presentation concepts.
- Provide strategic insight to clients on the best approach to presenting their case.
- Formulate and implement strategy recommendations while overseeing project teams that execute those recommendations.
- Leverage your own network to build a business that is consistent with TFP’s values.
- Work with the marketing and business development team to pitch and develop new business including making pitches and presentations and networking within professional organizations.
What skills and experience you should bring
- A graduate degree in the social sciences. Applicants must have: (1) a Ph.D. in the field of communication, social psychology, sociology, or a related field or (2) a Master’s degree in the social sciences.
- 7–10 years’ prior experience providing clients at top tier firms with consulting in the areas of trial communications, witness preparation, pre-trial jury research, and jury selection.
- You should be unencumbered by any non-compete or employment agreement that would prevent you from performing any of the required tasks.
- Strong social science methods training and a solid theoretical framework to guide observations and recommendations. Applicants must demonstrate proficiency in research design and statistical analysis and have a background in quantitative research methods. This proficiency should include experience with interview techniques and facilitation of focus group discussions, design of field research studies, questionnaire construction, data management, and analysis of quantitative research data using statistical software. They should also have a high competency of explanatory analysis, with a strong conceptual/theoretical framework that helps explain juror reactions to case presentations.
- An established and portable client base and knowledge/experience with multiple geographical legal markets and areas of litigation.
- Outstanding writing skills. Writing skills are critically important. Applicants should be prepared to demonstrate experience preparing research proposals and reports. Qualified applicants will be able to write clearly, concisely, and efficiently.
- Outstanding communication. Qualified applicants will seamlessly and simultaneously work with several clients/trial teams, managing the different expectations and communication styles of each client. Applicants must be skillful working with team members in remote offices and while on the road.
- A strong desire to lead business development and a passion to find new clients as well as expand the business in order to provide new challenges and opportunities for your team
- Positive team attitude. TFP maintains a strong commitment to diversity and cooperation in a team-oriented culture. Applicants must be committed to a team-oriented approach and able to work effectively with other team members. The position requires tolerance for change and the ability to rapidly adapt to the uncertainties of trial schedules.
- Strong internal and external client interaction skills. Confidently communicates and builds lasting relationships.
- Ability to perform under pressure
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Effective listening skills
- Ability to work late nights/weekends, and travel 30–40 percent of the time. The company is committed to employees achieving a work-life blend which addresses the demands of the job.
- Ability to work out of one of our four established locations: Oakland, Dallas, Chicago, or New York
What's in it for you?
- Excellent opportunities for career development for those who are motivated to provide the best consulting services in the industry and support to their fellow team members
- Competitive compensation, generous benefits, and the experience of working with one of the premier litigation consulting firms in the country
- The opportunity to work with some of the best consultants in the industry
- A fun work environment
Please thoroughly review this posting and our web site at www.thefocalpoint.com. If your background and interests match, let us know why in a cover letter which includes a resume and salary requirements, and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As part of The Focal Point’s comprehensive hiring process, we will be conducting a thorough background check on all eligible candidates. The Focal Point is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
Guy Grogan discuss the cures for turning a common closing summary into a powerful and persuasive argument for your case.